Sunday, August 24, 2008

IM WI RR#2 and Happy Anniversary to us :)

8/23/08 First and foremost our anniversary, not just any anniversary but our FIVE year anniversary! Time flies when we're having fun!!

This date stuck out in my august schedule not just because it was our anniversary but because it was our second (and final) race rehearsal for IM WI (which is exactly two weeks from today! Ek!)

Ok, since RR#1 (8/2/08) I have done a couple things differently- here goes:

  • Changed Cassette to 12/27 (from 12/25) gave me an "Extra" gear on the hills so I can take the hills a little easier
  • I moved my seat up and hoods down (less aero, more comfortable) I'm still having saddle discomfort so this was a solution, only problem is it changed all my power numbers (they went up) and with the ergomo issues I've already had (see previous posts) this didn't help. I'll explain more later.
  • Stopped riding with socks
  • Added a caffeine gel in on the bike
  • Ate more breakfast the morning of
Ok, quick ergomo issues- bad ergomo #1 through mid-July. Got replacement ergomo #2 (great!) well, computer on ergomo #2 hasn't been holding a charge (so it dies in the middle of rides) went back to FitWerx (great store if you're looking for terrific service!) and Marty gave me back my old computer head from ergomo #1 (he still had it, in that unit it was the bottom bracket that was a problem!) So I used BB from ergomo #2 and computer from ergomo #1. Perfect combo- EXCEPT- my terrific husband helped me set up computer #1 with all the numbers from my BB#2 (confused yet?) and the numbers didn't get saved :*( So for all you ergomo users my k-factor was wrong (set at 245, should have been 179..do the math, my watts were WAY HIGH) and I didn't realize this until about hours 2-3 (thinking to myself, I'm riding really high numbers...ergomo is messed up here we go again and I started riding by RPE, great practice.)
So I rode blind (again!) but at post-race lunch at Panera bread Greg and I figured all this out and with a slight adjustment on Computer #1, I *should* be good to go for IM WI. I think I've had enough of the ergomo issues, jeesh!

Swim RR- 2.4mi (two 1.2mi loops) (friday night) Super relaxed, similar pacing I was either a little faster on loop #1 or went a tad shorter/straighter!)
RR#2 TOTAL SWIM TIME: 1:14:45 (loop #1: 36:45, loop #2: 38:00)
RR#1
TOTAL SWIM TIME: 1:17:45 (loop #1: 38:45, loop #2: 39:00)

Bike/Run RR- 112mi bike (2 loops @42mi/loop + 1 28mi loop) + 6mi run
Same EXACT course as RR#1, only variations were in the road surfaces, there are a couple roads on this course that are in BAD shape! And to have to ride them 3x really hurts! Well, add in two other roads that were good on RR#1 that are now being ripped up/paved, etc...it was a nightmare. Steel plates in the roads, gravels trenches across the roads, etc. I've never bunny hopped so much in my life! So stop signs, railroad tracks, construction, etc...made for a very hard day! But I digress...same course, similar weather conditions made for a GREAT basis for comparison.

RR#2 TOTAL BIKE TIME: 6:35:30 (see hourly splits below)
RR#1
TOTAL BIKE TIME: 6:29:05 (see hourly splits below)

Loop #1- I was *supposed* to try to hold 155w for the first hour (based on latest higher FTP number) I was having a hard time staying that low (especially on hills) so I did what I could to "take it easy" and keep power numbers down...hour #2 I was *supposed* to get up to 165w but again was realizing it was really hard to go that easy...I did what I could but with so many hills though these miles, I was VERY hard.
By the time I was making my way back to the car I was realizing my watts were crazy high and I was way high on my goal watts....assuming ergomo was acting up again, I decided from here on out I would "wing it" old-skool....RPE (Rate of Perceived Effort)

Loop #1- H20 only first 30min then a bottle of Infinit (420cals)+ 2 Bloks at 1:30 and 36oz of water. 1/2 Odwalla Bar at 2:30

Loop #2- Was riding along with no issues when boom- hit a big bump (par for the course) I reached back to push down bottle in rear hydration system (common after a large bump) and the whole bottle and support was loose...weird. I pulled over and WHOA, my rear hydration unit had sheared apart (a Beaker Concepts H.5, the "Aircraft Grade Aluminum" sheared right off) so it was flapping in the wind. I called Greg (a few miles ahead of me) and he came back to me (almost getting killed in front of my eyes pulling a U-turn in front of a car to get to me, can't you see it on the news "wife watches husband get hit by car on their 5 year anniversary"!! Ugh, anyway) he had some tape on his bike and I had a rubberband and we secured it (so it wouldn't break completely and drop on my back tire and send me flying) Why not take it OFF you ask? Well, not only do you need an Allen Wrench, but also needle-nose pliers (do YOU carry those in your saddle bag? Me neither! I did what I could do!)
After that debacle, loop #2 was uneventful.

Loop #2- a bottle of Infinit (420cals)+ 2 Bloks at 1:30 and 36oz of water. Caffeine gel at 4:30 and 1/2 Odwalla Bar at 5:00.

Loop#3- I was ready to be off my bike, the roads were so bumpy I was going numb in my saddle area and arms (from being in aero) I felt like I was riding on top of a washing machine on the spin cycle...I shifted so much during the day, my right forearm muscle was hurting!! Weird!

Loop #3- a bottle of Infinit (420cals)and 20oz of water. Some Gatorade at "t2"

RR#2 TOTAL RUN TIME: 56:48 (see splits below)
RR#1
TOTAL RUNTIME: 55:48 (see splits below)

Run felt great- intentionally tried to go slower than last RR weather was a little warmer tahn last time (last time was about to run so sun had gone down and it was cloudy) nothing but sun this time so HR seemed a tad higher....wanted to run more like 9:45s, not 9:15s
Mile 1- 2 oz gatorade, Mile 2- 2oz of gatorade, Mile 3- 2oz of gatorade, Mile 4-2oz of gatorade Mile 5- 2oz of gatorade-TOTAL RUN 56:48 (see splits below)

Race Rehearsal #2 (8/23/08) #1 (8/2/08)



Swim Total Time (2.4mi) 1:14:45 1:17:45
Lap #1 (1.2mi) 36:45:00 38:45:00
Lap #2 (1.2mi) 38:00:00 39:00:00



Bike Total Time (112mi) 6:35:30 (.66IF) 6:29:05 (.72IF)
Hour #1 15.513 mi (.57IF) 15.765mi (.647IF)
Hour #2 16.622 mi (.67IF) 16.446mi (.746IF)
Hour #3 18.012 mi (.64IF) 18.713 mi (.728IF)
Hour #4 15.91 mi (.67IF) 16.535 mi (.754IF)
Hour #5 17.898 mi (.68IF) *17.883 mi (.791IF)
Hour #6 *17.064 mi (.70IF) 17.456 mi (.722IF)
Last ~30mins 11.285 mi (.68IF) 9.542 mi (.631IF)



Run Total Time (6mi) 56:48:00 55:48:00
Mile #1 9:39/mile,151avgHR 9:38/mile,148avgHR
Mile #2 9:26/mile,156avgHR 9:09/mile,153avgHR
Mile #3 9:40/mile,158avgHR 9:09/mile,154avgHR
Mile #4 9:43/mile,159avgHR 9:14/mile,155avgHR
Mile #5 9:32/mile, 161avgHR 9:30/mile,158avgHR
Mile #6 8:47/mile,163avgHR 8:45/mile,162avgHR

*Indicates highest power hour...one goal was to move this power higher to the end of my ride, I was closer but still not quite at the end of my ride, I'm happy I worked harder at the end, though!

What I will take away from this RR-
  • FIX Ergomo issues, ASAP...jeesh! Or at least if I need to ride at RPE I know I'm capable and consistent (variable above are due to terrain!)
  • Get new rear hydration system :P Or figure out is I can do without on race day.
  • Start run as slow as possible, I really can't go too slow...
  • The race starts at mile 18 of the run, take it easy until then!
I'm pretty happy with how consistent I am with power and rpe, also on the run... fairly consistent splits and effort level.

2 comments:

AJ said...

No needle nose pliers, but I carry tweezers in my saddle bag!!! (to pick the glass out of my tires)

Happy 5th Anniversary! :)

Unknown said...

First, Happy Anniversary to you!!!

Second, great review of your day. Looks like youa re completely on track for an awesome race in 2 weeks! Hopefully you get that power meter of yours worked out. I know it's caused you more frustration than it's worth. Are you happy with things? You should be!