Friday, August 15, 2008

I’m convinced man created IM not to see who the best athlete was, but to determine who’s body could survive the training.

Guess what. Mine can’t. I can’t believe the highs and lows my body has been through in these 11+ mo of training. I’ve been on cloud nine from a PR and sidelined for a month with a torn calf muscle…I’ve run 13mi on a weeknight after work without blinking an eye and I’ve not been on my bike for two weeks straight b/c of an abscess from my saddle. Go figure…highs and lows ups and downs. What I fear most is that race day will be much of the same. A rollercoaster of emotions and feelings….I’m not sure if I can quite handle it, but it’s coming and I can’t stop it.

Highs and Lows of IM training

3 comments:

AJ said...

smooth sailing is boring. the challenge, which inevitably brings ups and downs, is what it's all about.

you'll get through it just fine! maybe not as planned, but you'll get there and it'll be one hell of an accomplishment.

ELee said...

I guess that's the fun of it! For me at least, the actual IM will be a celebration of the journey there. I've had various ailments that have derailed my training and there are certainly days where I wonder if I'll be able to slog through race day, but I have various plans in my head for whatever scenario might pop up. You're physically and mentally tough, have put in the training that you've been able to do, and will be able to forge ahead through any roller coaster lows! I know lots of people will be cheering you on.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with highs and lows... guess that's part of it and makes us better for it! :)