Monday, August 25, 2008

Ironman was also created to teach us things about ourselves and others...

I have learned a LOT about sport, competition and most importantly about myself during IM training.

IM is not a race, it’s an experience.

IM is not about beating other people; it’s about conquering the demons in your head and racing against yourself.

IM training has taught me patience. It takes a patient person to start slow and build an effort throughout the day to end on a high note- this has been hard for me.

IM training has also taught me there are boundaries you can push and others that you shouldn’t but finding that "place" is what it is all about. Sometimes breaking through a "wall" allows you to find that place but getting past it is oh so rewarding.

IM training is lonely. I’ve spent so many hours having internal conversations with myself in the water, on the bike and during runs. I never thought I had so much to say to myself! Greg put it best after our first RR, when I got back to the car he said “me and my bike have nothing left to say to each other…after six hours there is just nothing left to say” I agree with him.

IM training is expensive. ‘Nuff said.

IM training makes you slow. Not in a negative way, but in a way that seems to zap all speed you thought you had and give you the ability to go forever at a slower pace. Patience comes back into play here.

IM training can be cruel on your body. There are parts of my body screaming for me to stop when other parts are screaming hey- we just got started don’t stop now…it’s the angel/devil syndrome and I fight it everyday.

IM has taught me there are a lot of bad drivers out there.


IM training has allowed me to meet some incredible people. I have enjoyed so many new friends this season, it's a blessing to be surrounded by such well rounded athletic people.


IM training has taught me there are a lot of hard working competitors out there training their hearts out to cross a line in the road...that line means the world to us…as will the words “YOU are an Ironman” as we cross that painted line.

IM training has allowed me to see to many different towns that I otherwise would never have driven to or around, it’s a great way to explore.

IM training takes a lot of planning. I’m teetering on Type-A these days.

IM training takes priority over a lot of other activities; it becomes a way of life. Embrace it or hate it- you made the decision to sign up for it!

IM training has taught me that if you put your mind to it, you can do more than you ever thought possible of yourself. Take a chance, you might be surprised what you’re capable of.

I’m sure I’ve learned more... but as I start to taper I began to reflect back on all my hard work I thought I would take a few moments to write down some of my lessons learned...I'm sure there will be more after race day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome post... I'm going through each and every one of those now! :)

Unknown said...

I agree with each and every part. Love it, love it, love it! (And I'm SO glad we're going through this craziness together!)

Oh, and I like Greg's line about the bike!