Friday, August 29, 2008

30th Anniversary of Ironman? I didn't know...

Greg sent me a link to an article from one of the original Ironman athletes Henry Forrest...it's a great read... I'll recap the best part...the part I can relate most to:

"I didn’t get to pick up speed as I neared the transition area as I did during the swim. My legs just wouldn’t pedal any faster. I got off the bike, and my support crew was there. Some of the race officials were there too. “You’re doing great. Keep going. Looking good,” they were saying. “Yeah, right,” I thought. I felt like death sucking on a life saver. I didn’t think I had ever been that tired before. But I didn’t have to bike any more. Now I could run. But something was wrong with my legs! They didn’t want to run. They couldn’t run. They had been pedaling for so long and were so used to moving in circles that they still wanted to pedal. Had I ruined my legs? I was afraid that if I looked as uncoordinated as I felt, people would be “cracking up” watching it. It was a horrible feeling, but after a mile or so, it started to fade away. I realized I was getting my pace back. My stride was good."

I'll write more later on how we've actually been a part of the
Ironman Revisted Race (if you click on results, look at the last name of the first individual) we got to walk in the shoes of the orginal athletes...very, very cool experience!

0 comments: