Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Harpoon Indoor Time Trial (ITT)





On Sunday I was christened by my first ITT (where you race other riders on bikes set up on trainers) and you follow the progress on a screen at the front of the room. I have never done one before, but thought it might be fun, so we signed up (Greg, Pam, Brandy and myself) Pam and Brandy rode with the "A women" (read: Pro Women) which went off at 12 noon, so we showed up early to watch them! They both did great!  
Soon after their heat, it was our turn. Greg and I in the same (co-ed) heat. I knew I wouldn't win the heat (b/c G will beat me everytime!) But I had high hopes for Greg to win...if you win your heat. You got a case of Harpoon Beer.

So I got started and took it a little easy (you can see in my power file that my rpms (green line) were high so I switched gears a few minutes in and started to work a little harder. The course had a minor hill about half way and then a more substantial (5% grade) hill from Mile 6-7 (If you invert my speed, blue line, you can envision the course profile.) 

My power (yellow line) was fairly consistent (which is good!) and I averaged right where I thought I would (232watts on my powermeter, although the computrainer/official results list 226watts) Overall I was 13th female, not too shabby considering there were a few Pros and bigger name road riders present. I'll take it for my first ITT. It was SO fun! My official time was 24:09 (19.9mph)

Here is my power meter data:
ITT:
Duration:   24:10
Work:       336 kJ
TSS:       46.2 (intensity factor 1.071)
Norm Power: 232
VI:         1
Pw:HR:       n/a
Pa:HR:       n/a
Distance:   8.406 mi
Elevation Gain:     98 ft
Elevation Loss:   108 ft
Grade:     -0.0 %  (-10 ft)
Min Max Avg
Power:       154 288 232 watts
Heart Rate:   0 182 66 bpm
Cadence:     80 107 93 rpm
Speed:       10.6 28.5 20.9 mph
Pace         2:06 5:41 2:52 min/mi
Altitude:     676 689 682 ft
Crank Torque: 121 271 211 lb-in
Temperature: 60.8 64.4 62.7 Fahrenheit
 
Oh, and Greg does not disappoint! He won our heat (21:21 total time) and graciously gave the case of beer (minus a couple) away to Brandy and Pam/Daniel. They stuck around to watch (and cheer, loudly!) for us in our heat. It was a blast!! I'm so proud of Greg...won our heat and was 31st overall (out of 168 people) I only wish he would stop showing off :P

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job to both of you!!

April Bowling said...

SICK!!!! This is one thing we do NOT have in common! Nice job girlie...I am proud!

a